This is the eGuide number of the station. You can find stations in selected locations in the building.
Click here to see the location of the station.
Click here to go to the main menu.
Click here to change languages.
Click here to change the font size and log in.
Or click here.
Zoom with two fingers or swipe an image to the side to see the next one.
Click here for background information, legends, etc.
Click here to listen to spoken texts or audio files.
Share the information.
Download as PDF.
Add to saved objects.


Museum für Gestaltung Zürich
Ausstellungsstrasse 60
8031 Zurich
Museum map
Museum für Gestaltung Zürich
Toni-Areal, Pfingstweidstrasse 94
8031 Zurich
  • Color
  • Color
  • Color
  • Color
  • Color
Listen to the text

Le Corbusier’s buildings nearly all make use of color, but the effect is by no means the same. In the 1920s, the architect used color to shape the a priori white space and lend it specific moods. In the postwar period, concrete left in its raw state with visible traces of the formwork became the trademark of a new architectural language. The former delicate pastel shades were now replaced by the seven spectral colors demonstrated by the physicist Isaac Newton in the seventeenth century. Le Corbusier dedicated himself to the study of suitable color schemes, contrasting them with surfaces left in their natural state.
The Zurich pavilion marks the end point of this development. All that remains on the exterior are carefully grouped white, yellow, green, red, and black enameled sheet metal panels. The exposed concrete is relegated to the ramp attached at the side of the building.

Enameled sheet steel façade panels, Pavillon Le Corbusier

Arthur Rüegg, ed., Polychromie architecturale: Color Keyboards from 1931 and 1959, Basel et al., 1997.

Image creditso

Fassadenpaneele aus emailliertem Stahlblech, Pavillon Le Corbusier
Abbildung: Museum für Gestaltung Zürich / ZHdK

Farbstudien zur Fassade des Pavillon Le Corbusier, Le Corbusier, 1963
Abbildung: Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montreal, Nachlass Guillermo Juan de la Fuente

Steckdose, Pavillon Le Corbusier
Abbildung: Museum für Gestaltung Zürich / ZHdK

Leitungsführung (Gelb für Strom, Rot für Heisswasser, Blau für Regenwasser), Pavillon Le Corbusier
Abbildung: Museum für Gestaltung Zürich / ZHdK

Atelierraum der Villa La Roche in Paris, Le Corbusier und Pierre Jeanneret, 1923–1925. Tisch und blaue Balkenleuchte von Charlotte Perriand
Abbildung: © Oliver Martin-Gambier, Fondation Le Corbusier

Wohnbereich des Appartement-Atelier im Dachgeschoss des Immeuble Molitor, Le Corbusier und Pierre Jeanneret, 1931–1934
Abbildung: © Fondation Le Corbusier, Paris